So for a recent issue of our magazines, I decided to suck it up and decode brushes once and for all. After lots of research, I learned which brushes are essential for any makeup routine and how to use them. Then I read tons of reviews to hunt down the best brand for each brush. I have tried and love each of these brushes and can testify for each of them.
1. Kabuki Brush – this brush’s dense bristles can be used to blend powders flawlessly.
My pick: Chantecaille “Zebra” Kabuki Brush, $69; chantecaille.com
2. Foundation Brush – Use to evenly apply liquid or cream foundation.
My pick: Giorgio Armani Blender Brush, $49; giorgioarmanibeauty-usa.com
3. Concealer Brush – Apply concealer with precision.
My pick: MAKE Expert Concealer Brush #3, $24; weseebeauty.com
4. Fan Brush – Diffuse color and lightly dust bronzer or shimmer on.
My pick: Make Up For Ever #134 Powder Fan Brush, $48; makeupforever.com (Note: I am ob-sessed with Make Up For Ever’s artisan brush line.)
5. Blush Brush – The dome-shaped head is used to define cheekbones.
My pick: NARS Yachiyo Kabuki Brush, $50; narscosmetics.com
6. Lid Brush – Apply cream or powder eye shadow all over the lid.
My pick: By Terry Eyelid Color Brush: Precision 2, $45; barneys.com
7. Shadow Blending Brush – Diffuse excess eye shadow, blend edges and lines, or highlight.
My pick: Make Up Forever #242 Blender Brush, Large, $30; makeupforever.com
8. Lip Brush – Apply lip color, blend shades or line lips.
My pick: Laura Mercier lip colour brush, $24; lauramercier.com